Shopping cart Cart empty
Notary Public Underwriters
 x 

Cart empty
Shopping cart Cart empty
  • Mississippi Notaries
  • Create an Account

Notary Signing Agent

The following are the most common questions asked by our customers regarding Notary Signing Agents. However, if your question is not listed below, feel free to contact us to receive an answer to your question.

What is a Notary Signing Agent?

What are the fundamental requirements to be a Notary Signing Agent?

Can a Notary in any state perform Signing Agent work?

Why do I need a background check, and what records are searched?

How long does background screening take?

How far back (previous years) is my background screened?

How often must a Notary Signing Agent be background-screened?

Can I dispute a result in my background screening that I think is incorrect?

How important is standard Notary training/knowledge to a Notary Signing Agent?

Why do I need to be a “certified” Notary Signing Agent?

Does my Notary Signing Agent certification expire?

How is Signing Agent E&O different from my Notary E&O policy?

Do I need a Notary E&O policy in addition to Signing Agent E&O?

Are Notary Signing Agents required to have a surety bond?

Why is training important to work as a Notary Signing Agent?

Who hires Notary Signing Agents?

How are Notary Signing Agents compensated?

Are my Signing Agent earnings taxable?

What is “PII,” and why is it important?

How long will I have access to my course online?

I’m having trouble taking my course (logging in; resetting password; navigating the course; etc.)… how do I ask for help?

I have a question about some information taught in the course – how do I ask for help?

I don’t think Signing Agent work is for me… can I have a refund of my course fee?

What if I take the course and don’t get steady Signing Agent work?

What is a Signing Agent Notary?

A Notary Signing Agent is a duly commissioned Notary Public who specializes in presiding over the execution (signing) of loan documents. Lenders across the United States rely heavily on Notary Signing Agents to handle these sensitive transactions.

Back to top ▲

What are the fundamental requirements to be a Notary Signing Agent?

The individual must be:

• a currently commissioned Notary Public in a state that does not prohibit Signing Agent activity (see “Working as a Signing Agent” below);
  • capable of satisfactorily passing a comprehensive criminal background check.

It is also recommended that the individual be:

• a Notary Public with at least one year of experience regularly performing notarial acts;
  • trained on the requirements of Notary law and best practices;
  • insured by a Notary Signing Agent errors and omissions policy;
  • supported by membership in a professional Notary organization that provides information on lawful performance of notarial acts and best practices.

Back to top ▲

No. Some states restrict a Notary's ability to perform Notary Signing Agent work, or ban it completely. Click here to view a list of states that currently are currently known to restrict or ban Notary Signing Agent work.

Back to top ▲  

Why do I need a background check, and what records are searched?

This is a requirement of mortgage lenders, because by law they must guard the privacy of every borrower’s personal information.  That duty requires lenders to ensure that all parties with access to a borrower’s personal information are appropriately screened, including Notary Signing Agents.  A background check for Notary Signing Agents will include or check:  Social Security Number Trace, National Criminal Database, Sex Offender Registry, Terrorist Watch List, County Criminal Court Search, Federal Criminal Court Search, Wants/Warrants Search, Employment Verifications, and Education Verification.

Back to top ▲

How long does background screening take?

From registration for a background screening to obtaining the results, the process takes approximately 5-7 days.  (This can vary by background screening provider.)

Back to top ▲

How far back (previous years) is my background screened?

Generally, from 7 to 10 years into your previous history, depending on applicable laws in your state of residence.

Back to top ▲ 

How often must a Notary Signing Agent be background-screened?

The current standard is once per year.

Back to top ▲ 

Can I dispute a result in my background screening that I think is incorrect?

Yes – the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) entitles a person to dispute background screening results.  Any reputable background screening provider will offer a dispute process.

Back to top ▲  

How important is standard Notary training/knowledge to a Notary Signing Agent?

It is impossible to function as a Signing Agent without a strong understanding of the fundamentals of notarization and your state’s Notary laws and administrative rules. Notary Signing Agents can be expected or pressured to complete notarizations that may cause the Notary to violate his/her/their state Notary law. Knowing how to notarize expertly, and when to say “No,” are extremely important.

Back to top ▲ 

Why do I need to be a “certified” Notary Signing Agent?

“Certification” indicates that the individual has obtained the training in notarization skills and Signing Agent practices needed to perform competently as a Notary Public Signing Agent.  Certification is an industry standard, one required by many if not most of the companies that hire Notary Signing Agents.

Back to top ▲ 

Does my Notary Signing Agent certification expire?

Yes, because loan document signing practices and procedures can change at any time. Requirements of Notary law or administrative rules can also change annually or sooner. The American Society of Notaries’ Notary Signing Agent certification expires after one year. Retraining and reexamination are necessary to renew the certification for another year.

Back to top ▲ 

How is Signing Agent E&O different from my Notary E&O policy?

A Signing Agent Errors and Omissions policy is specifically for Notaries who work as Notary Signing Agents.  A traditional Notary E&O policy provides coverage for the notarial acts performed in a loan document package… but doesn’t cover any mistakes or oversights made when performing other Notary Signing Agent responsibilities.  Notary Signing Agent E&O insurance covers notarization errors and oversights, plus other highly responsible activities of a Notary Signing Agent such as dating the Right of Rescission document; ensuring forms are properly signed and initialed; failing to complete a signing timely due to the Notary Signing Agent’s fault; and late return of date-sensitive documents.

Back to top ▲

Do I need a Notary E&O policy in addition to Signing Agent E&O?

If the Notary does other Notary work, besides loan signings, he/she will need to carry both policies because the Signing Agent E&O is limited to just transactions involving real estate loan signings.

Back to top ▲ 

Are Notary Signing Agents required to have a surety bond?

Notaries Public in states that require a surety bond as a qualification/requirement for obtaining a Notary commission must hold such as bond for their entire commission term.  Whether or not the Notary acts as a Signing Agent has no bearing on a surety bond requirement.

Back to top ▲ 

No. Some states restrict a Notary's ability to perform Notary Signing Agent work, or ban it completely. Click here to view a list of states that currently are currently known to restrict or ban Notary Signing Agent work.

Back to top ▲ 

Why is training important to work as a Notary Signing Agent?

Notary Signing Agent work is highly detailed and highly responsible work, requiring not only expertise in performance of notarial acts but also informed practices in the requirements of handling and presenting loan documents for signing. An individual must be certain that they perform all notarizations correctly and refuse to carry out any procedures or practices that contradict the requirements of Notary law. When handling loan documents, an individual must be aware of standard document handling procedures, the title/purpose of each loan document, acceptable methods of interacting with a borrower’s sensitive personal information, and how to respond to last-minute issues. All such requirements are subject to change, so initial Notary Signing Agent training should be supplemented with refresher training every year.

Back to top ▲ 

Who hires Notary Signing Agents?

Assignments to work as a Notary Signing Agent come mostly from signing services, title/escrow companies, and lenders.  Most new Notary Signing Agents register with or align themselves with signing services.  These services receive loan signing opportunities from various title/escrow companies and lenders, and maintain their own registry of Notary Signing Agents who will perform those signings.  The signing service collects fees for loan signings and pays the officiating Notary Signing Agent.  Some well-established Notary Signing Agents receive assignments directly from title/escrow companies and lenders, and are paid directly by these parties.

Back to top ▲ 

How are Notary Signing Agents compensated?

See “Who hires Notary Signing Agents?” above.

Back to top ▲ 

Are my Signing Agent earnings taxable?

Your Signing Agent earnings must be accurately tracked and reported as income.

Back to top ▲ 

What is “PII,” and why is it important?

“PII” means “personally identifiable information.”  It is any information that permits an individual’s identity to be known or deduced or inferred.  Well-known examples of PII include a Social Security Number (SSN), driver license number, birth date or a full name. PII is the most precious borrower information entrusted to a Notary Signing Agent.  Notary Signing Agent training should include methods of safeguarding PII.  Notary Signing Agents must follow all lender requirements for handling of PII.

Back to top ▲ 

How long will I have access to my online training course?

You will have unlimited access for 9 months from course completion.

Back to top ▲ 

I’m having trouble taking my course (logging in; resetting password; navigating the course; etc.)… how do I ask for help?

If you cannot log in, please try resetting your password using the password reset tool.  If you still cannot access your course, contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 800.821.0831. 

If you are logged-in to your course, please use the “NEED HELP?” button, located at the bottom of your screen, to submit a help request, or email your questions to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Briefly describe your question and the course section where the content is located.

Back to top ▲ 

I have a question about some information taught in the course – how do I ask for help?

If you are logged-in to your course, please use the “NEED HELP?” button, located at the bottom of your screen, to submit a help request, or email your questions to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Briefly describe your question and the course section where the content is located.

Back to top ▲ 

I don’t think Signing Agent work is for me… can I have a refund of my course fee?

Refunds are eligible for individuals who have not progressed past lesson 2 of the Notary Signing Agent Training Course. Please contact Notary Public Underwriters if you believe Signing Agent work is not for you so we can assist you with this request.

Back to top ▲ 

What if I take the course and don’t get steady Signing Agent work?

Signing Agent work is widely available, but it is competitive.  Some Notaries who take Signing Agent training thrive as Notary Signing Agents, and some do not. Training does not guarantee success… it provides information for you to pursue success.

Back to top ▲